dinsdag 28 februari 2012

Tutorial: Flames & Squad Markings

Well hi there. I have been working on this Legion of the Damned-commission again, and have een painting the Assault Squad. While I was doing this, I thought of all those Beginner and Intermediate guys (and gals) who ask me to explain how I do my freehands. Since this army is full of (easy) freehands (the flames, and the squad markings), I'd give an insight in my work. 

Now first remember that this is tailored specifically on the flames and assault squad marking for this army and unit, so it is made at tabletop quality - not the stuff of Golden Daemons!!! So if you are a beginner, or are just struggling with flames, or freehands in general, this might make a good excercise. If you already know your way around a brush, then this might seem easy peasy to you (and yes: for you guys it is).

Some tips before painting:
- Make sure your paint is nice and wet. About 1 part paint and 2 or 3 parts water should do the trick. Especially when you need to draw a very tight line, the paint shouldn't be too thick.
- I used brushes with good tips, size 0, and 3/0 for the finer lines. Just make sure your brushes have awesome pointy tips, that's  the key!
- Be patient! If yo rush your work, it will show. This requires that you have a steady, unwavering hand. Rushwork will show in the not-so-straight lines, bended lines, or wavery lines, where everthing should be straight, or smoothly flowing.
- In the finer linework: better to draw one line each time you dip your brush, than to have too much paint in your rush just to be able to draw more before needing to dip again. More paint in your brush makes your brush draw broader lines!

Let's start with the Flames:
1. Outline the flames in Mechrite Red. Make sure you get nice pointy tips!!!

2. Fill in the flame shapes with Mechrite Red.

3. Add a layer of Blood Red -  start just a litte up from the bottom, all the way up to the pointy top. Your previous layer(s) will make the shades. KEEP THAT TIP SHARP!

4. Do the same with Blazing Orange, but start even higher up.

5. ...and the same again with  Fiery Orange...
6. ...and one more layer with Golden Yellow.

7. Now finish with a fine outer line made of a mix of Golde yellow and Skull White. This line really defines the flames, so draw tight!

Here's how I did the Assault Squad Marking:
1. First, draw a cross. Make sure it is a cross that would be in a perfect square - more or less. This is done with Mechrite Red. 
2.  Next, draw arrow tips on each end of the cross. Make sure these small lines align with eachother (keep them perfectly horizontal and vertical)

3. Make little triangles of the arrow tips and fill them in.

4. Now broaden the cross lines, and create the full shape of your marking.

5. Here I added a coat of Blood Red. Notice how I left just a little bit  of Mechrite Red on the bottom part  to define the shadow side.

6. I add a coat of Blazing Orange only on the top right half of the marking. This brightens the shape some more, and defines shadows again.

7. Now I define highlights (or: edges) with Fiery Orange. I imagined that the light would come from above and to the right, so make sure you paint the right edges.

8. I draw these edges again with a very fine detail brush with a mix of Golden Yellow and Skull White. All done!

I hope anyone has found this usefull. Do not hesitate to ask any questions about this, or to leave any remarks. Always nice to hear from my readers...
HAPPY PAINTING!

2 opmerkingen: