zondag 5 januari 2014

First model of 2014: Kitty - a journey to joy

When I say 'first model of 2014', I actually mean the first model I finished in 2014. But actually started this one just after the Massive Voodoo workshop in december 2013.

At that workshop I 'won' a fun couple of small pieces of scenery, that I instantly intended to use. It were a stone column and a iron gate. Easy to see where that would go!

I figured that your original Games Workshop sized model would just seem too big for these. Luckily I had a few Hasslefree models in my cabinet that could fit the bill just right. I picked this model, Kitty, as it was the most obvious to place in an modern urban setting.



I took a lot from the MV workshop. Not so much in techniques (although I was able to finetune what I already knew), but mostly in attitude. Here was a model that would not instantly be conneted to a painting competition, or was a commission for someone. This model was intended for HAPPY PAINTING!


Obviously WIP

This was the most profound conclusion I made: the year before I had not been putting much soul, heart and joy into my painting. Somewhere between the workshop and painting this Kitty, I have found that sense of fulfillment and pleasure for painting again. I was not bothered with pressure for competitions, deadlines, regulations, and so forth. This model was going to be as I envisioned it.



This I found out: if I am working towards a vision where my heart lies, I am eager, willing and definately able to go back into the model, and finetune the little details further. I take more time to get it just right, try out new things (like pigments), push myself to achieve better, and most of all: be happy about it! With your own heartfelt commitment, you are able to achieve far greater and more fulfilling results.

After the first five minutes of wet-in-wet painting, MV style!

A quick combined shot for color references. Spot on, I guess.
When I finally finished the model (yesterday, in the happy company of my good friend Gert), there was a small pang of sorrow. I was done. Sure, I could have go on for weeks if I wanted to, but at some point you must call it quits. As I did yesterday. I felt like I stepped into a void. My mind could not even think on the next project, or look in retrospect at Kitty. There was just...nothing. I could only sit back, and look at the finished piece. And maybe for the first time, I did not look at it with my own creator's view of criticism, but see with a stranger's eyes and just enjoy the model as it was. No replies. No comments. No pointing out your own faults and shortcomings. Because that's easy. I took the hard way. I just...enjoyed.







3 opmerkingen:

  1. Hehe....it has been a real pleasure to tease/bully you into some final "upgrades". She looks very cool and I'm really looking forward to some more happy painting experiments :-P.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Awesome Pascal! Definitely not a figure I would expect from you, but wonderful paintjob nonetheless :) It's great that you managed to find the painting "happiness", and just relax while painting the figure!

    Always funny to recognize that piece of scenery, how great it would be if they had more variations of this :)

    By the way, best wishes for the new year and let's hope for plenty of happy painting!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen